Ad

Friday, October 16, 2015

DIY Saxon Watchtower


I recently built a Saxon watchtower for dark age wargames. It would work very well for Dux Brit or Saga. Since the materials only cost around $7, I thought it might be good to give a brief tutorial on how to put one together. To all readers for outside the US, I am very sorry but the materials I use are from hobby lobby and may not be readily ovailable or as cheap for you. 

I wanted a tower for my 28mm dark age games, and all of the ones I could find online were just a little too expensive for me. The Grand Manner ones are fantastic, but with shipping to the US, they are just a little too unreasonably expensive. A trip to hobby lobby fashioned me with most of the supplies I needed. They sell a log cabin kit for $4 that is the perfect size for 28mm. It's cheaper for me to just buy it than to cut out plywood and dowel myself, and the roof is better than I could do on my own. I always use a faux fur for thatch. It always looks a little furry but I'm okay with that!


This is the cabin kit from hobby lobby. to turn it into a tower I just used 4 of the longer pieces as legs to stand the rest of the cabin on. Two of the short side logs were cut in half to raise the roof above the platform. 


I cut a plywood platform to form the base of the turret. The walls of the tower are filled in with foam board.


To create a stucco look I just smear the foam board with spackle (ready made plaster).


It takes overnight to dry, but then you can just spray the whole thing brown.


Dry brush beiges and whites on the plaster and Browns on the wood. Once you cut the fur pile to the right length you just cut out rectangles and glue it down. 


Here is the finished product. $7 and a couple hours work well spent in my opinion. Comment if you have any questions, I know my descriptions are a little sparse on detail! 





1 comment:

  1. Nice work. Can't go wrong for $7!! Now I just need to find the time to make terrain instead of slowly whittling away the lead pile....

    ReplyDelete