Ad

Monday, September 28, 2015

Introduction

Greetings to anyone actually reading this! I am bored at work and decided I needed a platform to share all of my limited knowledge of wargaming and the history that goes along with it. I play 28mm napoleonic skirmish games (sharpe practice) and 28mm dark age games (saga, age of trebuchet, Dux brittanarium). Most of my games are inspired by Bernard Cornwell, who if you haven't read you should. Especially as he is about to become the new George Martin when the TV show "the last kingdom" premiers in a couple of weeks. All of my gaming is solo, by choice as a loner and isolation from a gaming community . I am an avid do it yourselfer and build the majority of my own terrain. My painting is amateurish so forgive me that. Most of my posts will be reviews, battle reports and tutorials and I hope that someone somewhere eventually  reads something and gleans a little bit of information or at the least entertainment from my writing.
When it comes to dark age miniatures, I am pretty much sold on gripping beast. Both their plastics and metals are great, however i do prefer metals just because the details are crisper. I have tried the wargamers factory plastics and they are just terrible. It is difficult to pose the figure so that they look realistic and the detail is so shallow that paint will often fill it in creating a smooth texture less look. I've never had either problem with the GB plastics. Dark age figures from any manufacturer paint up really quickly due to the limited palate and general lack of equipment.
For napoleonics, I am a huge proponent of Front Rank miniatures in the UK. Their somewhat chunky men are easy to paint and very detailed. My favorite aspect of this company is that minis are ordered individually. Very few companies will let you order exactly how many you want of each particular figure. Their prices are very competitive when purchasing from the US, with each figure running 1 GBP. I also have Perry plastic British and French line as well as some plastic dismounted dragons. These figures are cheap and work well for filling out bigger armies. The detail is okay for plastic and they paint quickly, especially the French line.

2 comments:

  1. So, what rules do you use again? A LOTR variant?

    ReplyDelete